"My todo list everywhere" an example of GWT + AppEngineDavy 02 Mar 2011
Those days, I played with GWT and AppEngine (GWT is an easy way to write ajax application, and AppEngine is a host, datastore and set of tools for web applications). Their are great tools, and a lot of tutorials are available.
The downside for a new incomer is to find an example mixing a lot of features of each technology. But, don't be afraid, here you will find a great example =0).
The web application is a very simple todo list manager. You login with your Google Account, and be redirected to your set of todos. You can add/delete todos. It's simple but also enough complex to discover and use a lot of features of GWT and AppEngine.
What can you find in this example ?
How to serve a GWT application by a servlet generating the webpage and including the xxx.nocache.js
How to use Activity, ActivityManager and Place and how to mix them with GIN (Guice for GWT, which is a dependency injection framework)
How to use GWT RPC communications with the Action/Response design pattern.
How to inject RPC in and RPC out event to display a loading popup.
To be continued ...
What can be improved ? (a lot)
** **1. Less server requests
Inline CSS styleSheet
- (Included in the previous: don't send a "get todos" to the server each time the todo activity is displayed.)
- Less work on the client side
- HeaderActivity is very simple at the moment and can be migrated into plain HTML.
- (Some sort algorithm and deletion strategy can be improved.) <- Not the first goal of this example
- Better user experience
- Use GWT internationalization facilities
- Better feedback that only the loading popup. (ie: todo added)
- Smartphone dedicated interface (everything ready in the code, only need to write them)
What you must don't look !!!
Please, don't juge the CSS. I didn't spend time on it, so it's a bit messy and not well or not at all organized.
Where can I find this example ?
Application link: http://todo-list-everywhere.appspot.com/
Source code link: http://code.google.com/p/my-todo-list-everywhere/comments powered by Disqus